The best contact for any birding in Sri Lanka is the Field Ornithology Group of Sri Lanka https://fogsl.cmb.ac.lk
FOGSL is a non-profit, non-governmental organization attached to the Department of Zoology, University of Colombo, dedicated towards birding, ornithology, and conservation of nature. It has a rich history of publications, from field guides to children books.
FOGSL also published a compact field guide (leaflet) on Birds of Urban Wetlands in Colombo
(for some extracts see below; ask FOGSL for the original)
To enjoy the diversity of the bird population visits early in the morning are recommended.
Please click on the photos below to see the names of the birds.
For the complete leaflet, please contact FOGSL
Thalangama wetland on YouTube
Birding at Thalangama
- SundayTimes.lk: The little known bird paradise
- Perera, Sandun. (2007). Bird communities as indicators of urbanisation pressure: A case study in lentic freshwater bodies and buffer habitats, along an urban-suburban gradient in Colombo, Sri Lanka. PDF file available on https://www.researchgate.net
- Ceylon Bird Club Birdwatching sites
- YouTube: Thalangama Lake Home for Native and Migratory Birds
- Field Ornithology Group of Sri Lanka (FOGSL). 2005. Student’s Wetland Pictorial Resource Book: Talangama Wetlands Tank. Colombo: (order hard copy here)
- Field Ornithology Group of Sri Lanka (FOGSL). 2016. Birds of Urban Wetlands in Colombo. (order hard copy here , or mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)